The new user experience

Polyglatte is a system that helps users that get over the hump of figuring out how to use it but we’ve had consistent trouble helping new users figure out how to use Polyglatte. I’d be interested to hear the experiences of anyone that’s tried Polyglatte and how it went.

For example if you did figure out Polyglatte and are getting value out of it, what was that process like?
And if you did not, what problems or questions do you have?

And finally for everyone, what changes do you think would help new users?

Hi Mark,

I discovered Polyglatte from this thread, and I found it amazingly well done! Thank you for providing this tool to the community!

I exported one of my Japanese Ebook in txt format and copy-pasted it in polyglatte, the rendering is quite impressive although I could rapidly spot several furigana issues (wrong or missing furigana). Should I report them by the way?

I feel that Polyglatte can be a very useful tool for extensive reading purpose and I will consider it as an alternative to my current setting (epub reader + yomichan configured for anki export).

For the moment I see two things that could improve my own experience :

1. it would be nice to give to the user the ability to add markers into the text to ease the navigation within long texts such as books (or long articles that cannot be read in one sitting).

2. the flashcard system could be improved by adding slightly more custom configuration options such as the ability to decide whether the furigana should be displayed or not during the review (currently not displayed in traditional mode).

I also remarked that one of the words in my word-list (なだらか) constantly gets tagged as ignored despite my attempts to send it into my studying word list. I can try to give more details if needed.

Thank you again and best of luck for your project.

1 Like

Hey Remy,

Glad to hear that it’s helping you out! And thanks for coming here to share your feedback!

I could rapidly spot several furigana issues (wrong or missing furigana). Should I report them by the way?

For sure! Many features like our furigana support have had only a few days of development total on them. Polyglatte is pretty big and it’s made by just 2 people so we can be spread pretty thin. The current furigana system is super naive and doesn’t account for context at all. In general we’re happy to make improvements in areas if there’s demand, so please let us know what you’d like to see improved!

I’m aware of a few situations where we choose the wrong furigana like compound words where the parser splits it up, like 二人 if it gets split like 二 + 人. A list of cases you’ve seen to test would definitely be helpful!

it would be nice to give to the user the ability to add markers into the text to ease the navigation within long texts such as books (or long articles that cannot be read in one sitting).

That’s good feedback. We currently do have this feature for video / audio articles and it’s based on the timer of the media playback. How would you like to see this done for text articles? We could look at scrolling and guess where the user is or perhaps make it a manual action.

the flashcard system could be improved by adding slightly more custom configuration options such as the ability to decide whether the furigana should be displayed or not during the review (currently not displayed in traditional mode).

Great idea! Currently I believe some behavior is controlled by article settings (which is kind of weird) but it sounds like lack of furigana in one style of flashcards is just a bug. I’ll file some issues / fix that up.

I also remarked that one of the words in my word-list (なだらか) constantly gets tagged as ignored despite my attempts to send it into my studying word list. I can try to give more details if needed.

Huh, I can look into this. It may be a bit unintuitive but you must select a definition to move a word from the ignored or known state to the studying state. If that doesn’t work or it’s failing or something, let me know and I’ll fix it.

Hi Mark,

It’s really amazing :slightly_smiling_face:

I will keep a track of furigana errors as well as small bugs that I may spot on the website and send you a feedback then.

Thank you! I feel that adding markers through a manual action would be perfectly fine to me, but maybe other users going through many articles at the same time would be more interested by an automatic track of the scrolling. It is really up to you.

Thank you for the fix. Here are two other presumed mistakes related to the flashcards. In the “Custom Study” window (that opening when pressing the “Start Custom Session” from the Fashcards page) :

1. the word type section contains three checkboxes (learning/review/mature). I presume that those correspond to words SRS levels. However, in the word list, the SRS levels seem to be indicated as Learning/Studying/Mature (so review would in fact correspond to Studying?).

2. The last section is wrongly entitled “Card Amount”.

Besides, from the word list, when unfolding the filtering menu (that with “All words” default value), the terms Learning/Review/Mature appear again (same issue as 1. above).

I followed your recommendation and I was able to put the word in my studying list.

1 Like

Alright! Sorry for the wait on some of the simpler fixes, but we deployed a bunch today including:

• settings panel for flashcards, you can now toggle showing the pronunciation on the front for traditional flashcards
  • fixed some consistency issues with review vs studying. Studying is the entire category of learning, review, and mature words, distinct from ignored/known words.
  • fixed that typo you mentioned in the settings panel

We also shipped a provisional Wani Kani API integration. More to come on that later, we’ll talk about it more publicly after we get some feedback on what we just shipped. (You can find the integration in the user settings panel)

Thank you! I feel that adding markers through a manual action would be perfectly fine to me, but maybe other users going through many articles at the same time would be more interested by an automatic track of the scrolling. It is really up to you.

This hasn’t shipped yet, but stay tuned and we’ll have a solution for this soon as well.

Great site so far! In terms of feedback and feature requests, would we post something up in here or in the Site Feedback forum?

Also…for the new user, I think it would be nice to roll the site registration with the forum registration. I found it kind of weird that the forum link on the site brought me here but then I needed to register for the forum separately.

Thanks for the great work so far!